SALUTE, Inc. -- Honor The Service

Throughout 2010 I'm helping raise money and awareness for a wonderful military family support organization: SALUTE, INC.

As an endurance athlete I've come to appreciate nothing more than the freedom to swim, bike and run -- for fun and fitness.

I can enjoy these activities because there are Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines and Guardsmen out in the world ensuring my, and your, freedom to do so.

This is my, and your, chance to say thank you. SALUTE, INC., passionately pursues meeting the financial, physical and emotional needs of the military service members, veterans and their families.


Please Click Here to Donate

Friday, September 4, 2009

Single Digits

The countdown continues -- now down to the single digits.

Congratulations to Rural Girl on her near Kona qualifying race in Louisville last Sunday. (I still have hope for you that one of the ladies ahead of you will drop her spot and you go to Kona.)

Congratulations to Rachel on her inspiring effort and finish at IM Canada. Your race report is one of the best I've read. Split times, average Watts, or calories consumed per hour is great training data. But why we race, why we put ourselves and our families through the months and months of long training days, is really what this journey is about. I forwarded your race report to Heidi; she says she sobbed for at least twenty minutes.

As Heidi and I have had our struggles this summer over the training time, kid time, work time, gear expenses, race fees, etc., we had lost sight of the "why" factor. So as I wind down my training, my focus this week is "Why?" I'm not the fastest. Unless I grow turbo legs in the next week, I'm most likely not going to qualify for Kona. So, why do I do it? Race adrenaline junky? Probably. But mostly to prove to myself that I can; those immortal Ironman words -- "I can". I do this to see Heidi at the end of the finish chute. I do this so I can call Cole and Abby sometime next Sunday evening to tell them that their Dad is an Ironman and that they can reach any goal they want for themselves if they want it bad enough and work hard enough for it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the huge compliment and tons of encouragement. I believe all the positive energy from you guys all over the world kept me going during my darkest hours on Sunday. Good luck on Wisconsin! You will do great. I can't wait to do that one (2011)!

    ReplyDelete